Positioning in search engines like Google while creating relevant content for our potential customers already involves work. On the one hand, we must follow the best practices for search engine optimization. On the other hand, we must create educational as well as interesting content to attract and convert visitors to our website into end customers.
And among so much content, Google has done it again. Yes, it has changed its algorithm based on new consumer trends. Users are becoming more and more demanding. And as Google depends on users, now its machine has a system that understands the content of our pages and therefore, this great company has decided to favor those websites that focus their content on a ‘cluster’ model.
What is SEO clustering?
To position your best content you need to think in topics, when before we did it in keywords. And it is not that the keywords have stopped working, but now we must also think about how the hierarchy of our content works. A hierarchy that must make sense to our potential customers. And for that there are the cluster topics or group.
In each group there is a pillar page (pillar page) that, based on your objectives, should get the user to perform an action: ask for a demo, contact a salesperson, get interested in a product or service, etc. This main page is the one that contains a general theme that other pages should ‘support’ to improve their positioning.
How to improve the positioning of a pillar page? With ‘cluster’ pages that contain a link leading to the pillar page. The topics of the cluster pages are related to the main page of the group, so that by linking to it, you are indicating to Google which page has authority. It would be like link building with your own web pages. And with some time, this ‘cluster’ model is the one that allows you to improve the positioning of your main pages.
With the video you will understand it.
Now, how do you realize ‘cluster’ themes?
You need a main theme (the one of your pillar page), the one that for your company is important to position in Google SERPs. Think that this topic has to be general, since the related ‘cluster’ content has to be able to link to this topic in a natural way. And by general does not mean that it is some discrete topic, but quite the opposite. Your intention should be to position your most important pages, according to objective. How?
- Think about the main problems of your potential consumers. Problems that you can solve with your products or services.
- Think about what are the main topics of these problems. These will be the topics of your pillar pages.
- Choose the page that best relates to these topics and that can lead your contact to perform a next action that brings them closer to the moment of purchase.
The ‘cluster’ content or pages that will be linked to your pillar page should delve into topics mentioned in it. Remember that it is better if your topics are not repeated. That is, ideally, the pages that link to the pillar page should be on different subtopics. How?
- Based on the keywords and the needs of your potential customers to select the subtopics of your ‘cluster’ pages.
- Find the best pages that deal with these topics. If you have several pages that can be useful in a subtopic think that it will be more effective to choose the best positioned in Google.
- This way of hierarchizing content is also useful to discover topics for which you had not created content. If that is the case, now you can do it.
- The most important thing! If these pages did not have the link of your pillar page, you must include it. Only this way you will be giving more authority to this domain.
Measure the impact that these pages have. The idea is that you have improved in organic positioning, but also that you have managed to improve the results of your pillar pages, according to objectives. Measuring is the only way to validate your effort and make changes to